Friday 30 October 2015

Friday finish and WIP roundup

Hi all, time for a roundup of a few projects I have been working on in parallel, but first I do have a small finish I have been meaning to post.


Here is the spool pincushion I made from the paper foundation supplied by Faith of Fresh Lemons Quilts.  I blogged about  it here, having pieced the block.  


As usual it then took a while to get around to making up the pincushion, but I am pleased with the result.  Quite deep so I can jam in my long pins without pricking my fingers when I pick up the pin cushion later.  Walnut shells for stuffing, nice and crunchy, and I also used lightweight iron-on interfacing to give more body to the side and bottom fabrics for durability as the shells make quite a heavy pincushion.

As well as the original spool design, Faith is running a short series of other paper pieced spool blocks: the second has just been posted here.  Do go and have a look.


OK, what else has been going on here.  Well, I have another finish to share but it has been raining this week and I haven't got out to do any decent photos.  Forecast better for this weekend so I will try and post about it very soon.

In the meantime, I have been laying out my Interwoven Strips on the living room floor in a variety of ways - apologies for the poor indoor photo.  As usual I find that it is laying out the blocks that takes the most time when making a quilt.  A design wall would help but I still would be slow, I think.


This is a random, scrappy layout but I think I am going to rearrange the blocks so as to keep the colours running across the whole width of the quilt top like ribbons.  That's the plan as of this moment anyway.  I will keep you posted.


And here are some fun pinwheels, prep for a class I will be teaching shortly.  These have been ongoing for a while but I have now got the top together - no photo though.  Made from a charm pack (Best.Day.Ever.by April Rosenthal for Moda), I love the rainbow of colour.


That's all for now.  Hope you have a great weekend, with time for some sewing along the way.
Linking with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday.

1 comment: