Friday 20 March 2015

Disappearing Hourglass and more...

Quick post this week as I am teaching tomorrow (String Quilts, my favourite, at my LQS) and we have friends visiting on Sunday, so lots of non-sewing things to do.

I have made almost all of my Disappearing Hourglass blocks: here are a few laid out on my small design board.  This number of blocks would be about the right size for a cot quilt, but I want something a little bigger.


Slightly to my surprise, I must confess, the piecing went really well, with nice sharp points.  I have always been a little suspicious of the various 'disappearing block' methods as I think they can give rather inaccurate results, but  (admittedly with careful cutting) these were a delight.  In fact the only block which went awry was one where the ruler slipped as I was cutting.


Spring cleaning turned up a box of ancient flannel fabrics (OK, not all that ancient, but distinctly out of fashion nowadays).  I also found some Foundation by the Yard and decided to make another quilt by this method and use up them up.


I made a small Christmas quilt years ago in just greens and tans with a smidgeon of red, but this time I will be using up all the rest of the colours in the box as well, mostly blue and brown.  It is likely to still be rather Christmassy: hard to escape that look with these shades of red and green, plus the snowflakes, of course....




Final WIP, just a glimpse, is the wedding quilt I have been working on for the lovely daughter of a dear friend.  I have almost finished the blocks and will be having fun soon with the layout.  This will be a cozy quilt for the newly weds this autumn, I hope.


So next week looks like it might be busy...  I have to make hay while the sun doesn't shine, as the garden will be taking all my time soon.  It is a cold, wet Spring here so far and I won't start gardening properly till the weather is more reliable, but it won't be long now: my machine needs to work overtime to get these projects more or less done before then.  Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment