Monday 2 September 2013

Flannel Sawtooth Stars


Flannel Sawtooth Stars is from a pattern in Fons and Porter’s Fat Quarter Friendly.  I really liked the zigzag border, and I have had most of the flannels/plaids in my stash since Piecemakers days.  

I feel that flannels, being so soft, are better suited to relatively simple piecing; the sawtooth star can be made with stitch and flip corners, so that reduces the risk of stretching the bias edges of the fabric. 




Having pieced the top in April, I finally got around to quilting it last week: I decided to quilt straight lines by machine in a chocolate brown thread which I found blended best with the variety of colours.  I really like the way that quilting through the diagonals of the sawtoooth stars, which is partly in the ditch and unobtrusive, also creates the diamonds in the centre square and across the ‘four patch’ where the block corners meet.  

So although it is not the most exciting way to quilt a top, I feel it is in keeping with the homespun look.  I did quilt the zigzag border separately in the ditch to make it stand out.  

Blue and rust striped border from stash makes for a happy finish.


Flannels seem rather out of fashion at the moment but I love them - and this cosy quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment