Thursday 8 August 2013

Washington Medallion

Hi I am Alison and I really like to chain piece my quilts: I am a slash and stitch sort of a quilter, I love quick cutting techniques and projects using lots of fabrics which come together quickly (though I don’t always manage to finish off my tops quite so quickly…). 



I feel a bit of a fraud, however, having chosen this name for my blog, as I haven’t actually done any chain piecing for a month or so: I have been busy trying to finish hand quilting a Block of the Month sample for my friends Julia and Gwen who run my local quilt shop, Patchwork Cabin in Great Bookham, Surrey.  They are off to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham this week and they wanted to take the Washington Medallion quilt with them to promote their Block of the Month programme. 

I managed, just, to have it more or less finished (there is a tiny bit more to do in the outer border of stars) by dint of a 10 day holiday in a cottage in the Lake District where there was no TV, radio, telephone or internet connection, so pretty much all I could do in the evening was quilt, once the compulsory holiday jigsaw had been completed.

I do love the look of hand quilting but I always seem to be in a tearing hurry to get on with the next project, so I am forever looking for the quickest way to finish a top.  Hand quilting, I can assure you, is not the quickest way…  



However, having had to spend some time on the Washington Medallion, I find I do quite enjoy the rhythm of the stitching and my fingertips have just about survived, so now I have dug out a couple of other projects from way back which I abandoned having got stuck on the quilting.  You never know, these may feature in this blog in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment