Friday 29 January 2016

Kindle cover - quick make



I always forget how quick and enjoyable it is to make something small rather than a great big quilt. Though it doesn't use up much of the stash!

So having had no sewing for over a week because my mum-in-law was taken ill and I spent every day hospital visiting (she's on the mend now, thankfully), I stole some time last night and made this kindle case for my daughter at her request.  I resorted to taking most of the photos outside as it is still so grey and overcast here.



My daughter chose the outer fabric - an ancient one from my stash - because she thought it was appropriate to have letters on the outside as well as on the kindle.  I was surprised she didn't go for any of my bright modern prints and text fabrics, but who can predict the ways of 23-year olds?

After some research on Pinterest, I found this tutorial for a sleek and simple case with pockets front and back by Jess of Sew Crafty Jess, and cut out my pieces accordingly.  The inner fabrics are brushed cottons (to keep the kindle cosy!). I only had fat eighths so used two different ones.



When I had nearly finished I tried the kindle for size.  It slipped down to the bottom of the case and there was, I felt, a bit too much extra space at the top.  So I tweaked the pattern and adjusted the folds so that I would have a flap at the top to take up the extra fabric.  This means that the outer pocket on the back is the full length of the case, with a shorter pocket at the front.



My daughter's kindle is now a perfect fit and kept in place securely by the flap.  The pockets are useful for storing the charging cable and any other relevant bits and pieces.


I can heartily recommend the tutorial.  The measurements and instructions are clear.  I had everything I needed to hand, including a pony tail elastic and cover button for the closure, and scrap wadding. Making the case took only a few hours and I feel like I have really achieved something this week.


I hope you have managed some sewing this week too and that you have a fun weekend.
Linking to Finish it up Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts.  Always nice to see everyone else's finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment