Friday 15 January 2016

Bountiful Baskets mini quilt

Here's a little top put together at speed to give me a finish for today's link to Crazy Mom Quilts: Finish it up Friday. Not the most worthy motive I know but I needed a deadline!



Making the 6" blocks for the Moda Sampler Block Shuffle (which I blogged about yesterday) was such fun that today I tackled a little kit I have had lying around for ages.



Lori Smith of From my Heart to your Hands had a series of small patterns called Four Plus One Equals Fun, which seem to be still available on her website. I chose Bountiful Baskets which came packaged by my LQS with 5 fat quarters, four print and one background, all tied up with a ribbon. Who could resist that!  I did change the background for a softer cream however, the white was a bit bright.



Anyway I was encouraged by some success with the Shuffle 6" blocks to go even smaller: these baskets finish at 4 3/8" according to the pattern.  Mine were slightly bigger but nothing I couldn't fudge when it came to putting the blocks together.



The quilt finishes at 17" x 23" : I chose to put borders on all four sides - Lori bordered only 3 sides so her finished quilt would be 16" x 20", small enough to fit on a fat quarter of backing (though she also gives a pattern for a pieced backing).

Such a pleasure to make something small.  This top went together in a couple of hours and won't take long to finish, though I may hand quilt so don't hold your breath....  Usually I make quite big quilts and they take forever.  Only drawback is small quilts don't use up much fabric!


Do visit Lori's website if you like traditional quilt designs.  Lori has lots of gorgeous small patterns as well as bigger quilts - very inspiring.

Have a great weekend, with time for sewing too.  Thanks for visiting my blog.

1 comment: