Wednesday 2 September 2015

Quilting-on-the-Go Sawtooth Stars

After some rather project heavy/picture heavy posts here's a quick one with just one project.  This is my 'new' hand quilting finish-it-up WIP: quilt-on-the-go Sawtooth Stars.



I started this in a class with Carolyn Forster using the method that she later published in her first Quilting-on-the-Go book, published in 2007 (there is a second book published quite recently); this involves disguising the joins with quilting in the wide sashing.

It is a great book full of lovely quilts with novel ways to hide the joins, but I guess this is not really my preferred method of quiltmaking.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the fact that I could make the blocks, layer, and hand quilt them individually while out and about - in my case while watching my daughter play cricket.  Even more, I loved being able to use up 20" square wadding offcuts.

But I did not enjoy the process of putting the blocks together in rows, and I enjoyed joining the rows even less, which is why I ground to a halt some considerable time ago.  I had done more quilting than I remembered, however, so it might not be quite such a long way to the finish line as I had feared.


Joining the rows you cannot really do on the go, you need a reasonably large flat surface.  I am using my ironing board lowered to a comfortable height in front of a window as I need good daylight to see my quilting lines.  This is limiting me to sewing in the day as I am waiting for delivery of a decent task lamp for sewing.


So still very much a WIP but my aim is to finish and bind by the end of September.  Fingers crossed.

Linking to Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment