Monday 16 January 2017

Quilt stats



In my haste to get the last post out to wish you a happy New Year, I forgot to include my string quilt's vital statistics: vital more for me than you maybe, as I use this blog as a record of my finished quilts.



So here is a summary and a flat shot - always important for quilt nerds like me who like to work out how a quilt has been made:

Finished size: 74" x 100"
35 blocks, set 5 x 7
Block size: 11 1/2" made up of four 5 1/2" string squares joined with 3/4" skinny sashing and cornerstones
Main sashing and cornerstones between blocks: 1 1/2"
Orange inner border: 1 1/4"
Blue outer border: 3 1/2"
Purple binding: 2 1/4" straight cut doublefold

All of the above measurements (except the binding) are finished measurements.


And two pictures of the back so you can admire the swirly feather quilting by my friend Chris:



Please excuse the repetition of subject matter in this post: I have not managed much sewing since the beginning of the month, though I have finally managed to stitch down the bindings on four quilts which I will post about on Friday.

Instead I have had my mum to stay for a few days, and to celebrate her birthday with us we visited Down House in Kent which is the home of Charles Darwin. By way of a diversion from my normal quilty posts, I thought you might be interested in this link to the website from where you can navigate around and find out more, and see photos of the house including one of Darwin's study.  

We had a very interesting visit, particularly for my elder son who is an ecologist and entomologist. He felt a connection across the years, as so much of what he does still involves close observation and collection of specimens: despite huge advances in genetics, the artefacts and equipment used are not so very different in some respects to 150 years ago.

I guess it may be similar to the connection I think many of us who make quilts feel to the makers of the past when we see old textiles and quilts. Our tools and techniques are not so very different either, though I wouldn't willingly part with my electric machine and tank steam iron! As my son will shortly be moving to Michigan, I hope this will give me an excuse to visit some of the wonderful museums of quilts in USA. That's the plan anyway - watch this space!

Till Friday, hope you have a productive week.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a very lovely string quilt. Great color combo. And the quilting is terrific. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about string quilts is that the colours reflect whatever happens to be in the scrap bag, so I can't really take any credit - except that I must have bought all the fabrics in the first place! Thanks for coming to see and for commenting. Good luck with your own scrappy quilting.

    ReplyDelete