Wednesday 9 September 2015

HST Doll Quilt

I have been making some progress on handquilting my QAYG Sawtooth Stars, and I do have a finish to post on Friday, but this week I just felt the need for something new.  I have been soooo good about finishing recently, it is time for a start.  But just a little one.



About a year ago I was demonstrating to a local quilt group the method I currently love most when I have to make a lot of half-square triangles - that is, using triangle papers.  There are various products out there designed for this purpose: the ones I have access to are Triangles on a Roll and Thangles.



I use Thangles when I have strips of fabric to hand eg Jelly Roll strips or equivalent, or I need just a few HSTs in each fabric combination; and I use Triangles on a Roll when I have larger yardage to use up or need to make a lot more HSTs.

So because I was demonstrating, I made HSTs in scrap fabric in reproduction colours/style and it was a great opportunity to have a good clear out of larger chunks of scrap at the same time.  These HSTs were made without any special project in mind other than a general idea of making a Dutch Chintz style quilt at some time in the future.  Since then I have been adding to the stockpile any HSTs left over from other projects too, trimming if necessary to the same size.

Today felt like the day to get them out and make something!  I have had my eye on this lovely doll quilt by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts.  The pattern is in her book, Scrappy Firework Quilts.



But I wanted to use my HSTs which are 2" finished, rather than make small ones as per Edyta's design, which measure only 1 1/4" finished (!).  I put a pinwheel in the middle of my Sawtooth Star because I couldn't find any more blue checked fabric (what's the betting it will turn up as soon as the quilt is sewn together?).


And the borders will be a floral fabric which I had unpicked from a previous project and had shoved back in the cupboard - it wasn't quite right for that project but I think it will be OK with this one.  All in all, this is a WIP which I stand some chance of finishing quite quickly, having started from pre-made pieces!



So it is a little different to the original, but isn't that what we like about quiltmaking?  Start with an inspiration and adapt to one's own needs or vision.  Each time we make a quilt it is new made, as we never can replicate the exact fabric choices (unless purchasing a kit, I guess).

So here is my quilt, laid out but not stitched together - tomorrow's task.  It will be too big for most dolls but a nice size to top a table.

Linking with Lee at Freshly Pieced: WIP Wednesday: glad to see she is starting more than she is finishing too...

2 comments:

  1. I love a good scarppy quilt and this is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pinwheel in the centre of the star, and I agree that making a pattern one's own and creating something unique is one of the joys of quilting.

    ReplyDelete